Working Mom



I had a lot to say about working moms before becoming a mom, I completely understand where I was coming from. My opinion was driven purely from the way I perceived myself as an ambitious, creative, energetic person and a feminist.


It’s good to have ideals that you live up to, but little did I know that being a working mom is not merely an executive decision that logically corresponds with my set of ideals.


Emotions took the front seat on this one for me and many other moms like me. I found myself in constant conflict between my logical ideals and my emotions, and often the latter wins. I envied moms who made it seem easy.


I couldn’t see myself jobless, or in other words, purposeless. I discovered however that being a mom is the most fulfilling of all jobs and purposes in life. I could not convince myself that I need to go to work, away from my newly found purpose. Specially when my baby’s separation anxiety kicked in just in time to catch up with my own separation anxiety.


If I am being honest, the only thing that kept me from sending in my resignation letter are the wise words from a strong female figure in my life telling me to never depend on anyone financially and that being a mom is a temporary purpose, soon enough your sole purpose in life will move on to find their own purpose leaving you hollow.


That hard and sensible truth goes out the window the moment you hug your baby goodbye for another day at work and they cling on to your clothes as a last resort to hold you back from leaving.


What I got to say now about being a working mom is; you are not terrible for wanting to stick to your ideals or for wanting to ditch them. Being away is not easy but it gets better, then bad, then better again. Also, you do not have to be uninvolved in your child’s life just because you work. It will just require more time and effort from you. That sweet work life balance that everyone talks about is more of a roller coaster ride than anything. There will be good days and there will be bad days just like with everything else in life.


Most importantly, I say this to myself as well, you do not need to do anything out of principle or for the sake of what others may think. It’s your baby, your decision. Working mom or not, you rock!


I aim to reach that work life balance magic. Until then, I will allow myself to get emotional and that’s ok.

 

Written by: Noura AlDulaijan

Comments

Popular Posts